ADULT LEARN TO SAIL (ALTS)
RESCHEDULED FOR 2021 SEASON
Sail Canada ‘Start Keelboat Sailing’ Course
The course will equip participants to safely sail a keelboat during daylight hours, under limited wind conditions, in sheltered waters.
Participants who successfully complete both the theory and the practical parts of the course will be awarded the Sail Canada “Start Keelboat Sailing” qualification.
- 6 hours (2 x 3 hour classes) ‘Ashore’, 12 hours (nominally 4 X 3 hour classes ‘Afloat’), a total of 18 hours
- the Afloat training will make use of the club’s Tanzer 22 keelboat; there will be a maximum of three participants on the boat with the instructor
- the syllabus will include motoring, docking/undocking, all points of sail, anchoring, crew overboard
- the Afloat training will take place in Picton Bay
- successful participants will be able to use the Tanzer 22 for up to 12 hours after completion of the course so as to have the opportunity to practice their newfound skills (minimum crew of 2, at least one person on the boat must hold a Pleasure Craft Operator Card)
- the course fee for non-members will be $440.00+HST, this includes temporary membership of PEYC
- the course fee for members will be$340.00 + HST
- In addition, the course uses the Sail Canada ‘Basic Cruising Skills’ manual which costs about $33. This is an excellent book which includes most of the course content and will be available for purchase at the course.
Dates: 5th to 30th July 2021
The ‘Ashore’ (classroom) lessons will be held during the evening of Monday and Tuesday 5 and 6th July. We will plan the subsequent ‘Afloat’ lessons at the mutual convenience of the instructor, participants and the weather! The Afloat lessons can be weekdays, evenings or during weekends, nominally 4 sessions of 3 hours each. If people prefer it, two sessions can be taken in a single day with a break at lunch time. Please contact John Uings if you would like to take the course but the dates are unsuitable for you.
Covid Protocols: Every effort will be made to ensure compliance with any restrictions. Participants will be required to sign a Covid waiver.
Registration: Please register at Prince Edward Yacht Club – Learn to Sail
If you are unable to register online, please contact John Uings or the Prince Edward Yacht Club
Please email either firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com to request additional information, alternatively call PEYC 613-476-5585 or John Uings 613-471-1882